31 March 2009

Joshua's 9th Birthday ~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSHUA ................ 9
This year for Joshua's birthday we redecorated his room (getting rid of the "Army" theme and going with a more contemporary style. He loves his new colors. We met an interior designer thru our friend Tommy ... and it is turning out awesome! :) Dennis painted his desk black to coordinate with the new curtains and custom chest he will have in there. I'll post pictures when it is completed.
4:24 PM, 9 year ago ...... I was in labor for 2 days before he finally came. My water broke on March 28th in the middle of the night / but I didn't know that was what happened (never being pregnant before), so I went back to sleep. When I woke up on the 29th I KNEW I was in labor. Joshua wasn't to be born until May 27th - - - so the doctors tried to prolong my pregnancy with shots every 20 minutes to slow the contractions. Joshua loves hearing the story of his birth ... he asked me again this morning. He enjoys reading our blog (Hi Joshua) .... so I thought I'd write it down for him to read whenever he wants. So, Dennis rushed me to the doctor that morning and he told me I was indeed in labor. I asked him what the odds were about Joshua being "ok" to be born 8 weeks early and he assured me it was in the 90% range "these days" that he would survive and be alright.
Our hospital was about 40 minutes away (in Northern Virginia) ... but luckily there wasn't any traffic. I called my Mom, and Dennis called his Mom to tell them the news. My Mom, being local was able to be there with us as Joshua came into our lives. Steve was there too ... and quite wonderful I might add. He was so helpful and supportive. Mom (Nanny) video taped our birth. Joshua came out squeaking without too much effort. To be honest, once the epidural doc came in .... it was a breeze! Ok, well not a total breeze ... but it was beautiful. He did have to stay in the N.I.C.U for 31 days, but I was able to pump milk for him at home and bring it to the hospital. I was grateful for the fact I was able to do that for him. The nurses told us how important breast milk was for babies, especially those born premature. During those 31 days the many nurses he had showed us how to take care of our new little guy. We had never bathed such a tiny baby, or changed diapers that small. It was great having them show us how to do everything. The room was filled with tiny babies. Some needed heart surgery, others stayed days and weeks longer than Joshua needed to. It was a very emotional time for us ... but we knew God would watch over our little guy, and he did.

Joshua has blessed our lives in ways I could never have imagined. It's hard to believe he is really 9 years old! Today he asked if he could ride the bus TO school as well as home from school. I asked him why he wanted to and he said "I'm old now Mommy, let's face the facts". Turns out Madison, a cute girl who lives in the next neighborhood over - she rides in the mornings too. I am no longer aloud to tease him about his girlfriends. LOL, kids today!

He did ask that I bring his cupcakes down to school later though. He said it is of the "utmost importance" this year that he has cupcakes to share with the entire class. He's funny. I was instructed "nothing fancy this year Mom", in regards to the cupcakes. I made him his own little Birthday cake for after dinner today. It's Tuesday - so that means Tacos at our house. Taco Tuesday - - - his favorite.

* * * * * * * * *
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSHUA ... We love you so much! You make us very proud.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ruth Martin said...

Hi Joshua, this is Nanny. I had the easy job of taking video - your Mom did all the hard work of delivering you :-) When you were born your little face was so perfect and oval and your little nose was like a little button and you were holding your lips in a circle so you could get a big breath before letting out a big "whaaa". Your hands were so tiny but were able to grasp Mommy and Daddy's finger when they put it in your hand. Your eyes seemed to be smiling at everyone who talked to you. You were soft and your skin smelled like fresh apples - so fresh and clean! We've watched you grow into the fine young man that you are today - loving and caring, brilliant, and handsome. Love you so much!