29 October 2007

Kris' Kitchen ~

I've really enjoyed baking lately. I've been using the recipes in the new cookbook from Jessica Seinfeld called Deceptively Delicious. It's really amazing how you can making very healthy, low fat / high fiber snacks that include vegetables without the kids (or husband for that matter) EVER knowing. I've made brownies with pureed spinach, muffins with sweet potatoe and pumkin puree, and banana bread with summer squash hidden inside. They have loved everything I've made.

Today I made:

The chocolate chip cookie recipe. Hidden inside is chick peas! You can't even taste them. I love this cookbook. These cookies are made with a little bit of brown sugar and dark chocolate chips. They are not too sweet, which I prefer in desserts.

The batch of chocolate chip muffins are not pictured, but in the photo above I used a mini pan for the left over batter to make a chocolate chip "loaf". Get this ... it has BEET PUREE inside. Again, you'd never know that they are healthy - whole wheat muffins. Also, I added some flaxseed (which I put in most everything) for some extra fiber.

These are oatmeal, m&m cookies with chick peas. I used half white / half whole wheat flour for this batch ... but they are still "healthy" cookies.

Whole wheat, oatmeal / m&m - chick pea + flaxseed muffin cookies. I added some baking soda to this batch to make them puffier. I wanted to make it look like more of a variety for the kids. * I always freeze 1/2 of every snack that I make so that we will have some for a later date. That keeps the family from getting bored of too much of a "good thing".

1 comment:

Ruth Martin said...

Oh Yes... I can tell you all that Kris' creations are THE BEST!!! She certainly has perfected the deceptively delicious baking method. Everyone gobbles up her goodies. Kris forgot to mention though that she adds a cupful of love into every batch!